The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#266638 by Eyesore
Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 am
Look what I scored:

Now...do I dare listen to it? :lol:

I had no idea these were both on the same tape. And on Jason's old website, he listed it as Blastula & The Satanitones. Anyway, I'm stoked!
#266664 by Eyesore
Fri May 13, 2011 1:49 pm
Lettuce wrote:SO JELLY! Find technology to MP3 it!

I need to buy a cassette-to-USB player. I have tons of old demos on cassette. Some I haven't listened to in over a decade, and others I've never listened to. Sigh...
#266751 by Eyesore
Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 am
So I listened to this tape.

Tree of the Sun is very much in the stoner-rock vein, with a little alt-stoner feel similar to Queens of the Stone Age. "Phoenix" is a really good song. "Athena/Red" is decent, but not quite as good.

The Blastula stuff is totally different. This is more akin to HAARHT, though without any electronic backbone. It's just down-tuned, groovy, with growling vocals. "Contain Us" is a pretty cool tune. Raw, but very good. "Spaztech" is less a song and more chaotic noise. There's structure there, groovy riffs and such, but nothing to really latch onto as a listener.

Either way, both are much better than the IR8 project. I don't hear Devin singing, though, and I can't really pick out anything that is reminiscent of his style, you know. He's there, but you wouldn't know it without the REPLACE telling you.

Hopefully I can someday get these ripped to MP3 and get permission to share. (Yes, permission! Haha.)
#266803 by Leechmaster
Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 am
Awesome! Where the hell do you find all this cool rarities, man!? :lol:
#268418 by Eyesore
Tue May 24, 2011 1:07 am
Leechmaster wrote:Awesome! Where the hell do you find all this cool rarities, man!? :lol:

Just found a dude selling it online. Luck. =)

And man, I thought more people would be interested in this.
#268419 by swervedriver
Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 am
Oh, I'm interested, but I'm very hesitant to ask that you rip something you just spent some hard-earned money on and share it for free. :)

Quite similar to begging for some random album to leak already. :evil:
#269925 by catharsis
Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 am
IR8 was pretty shitty, but i'd like to hear everything dev related at least once. if you don't mind, how much did u spend on this? it looks like a really cool collector's item but i can't imagine it being very good.
#270586 by Eyesore
Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 pm
catharsis wrote:IR8 was pretty shitty, but i'd like to hear everything dev related at least once. if you don't mind, how much did u spend on this? it looks like a really cool collector's item but i can't imagine it being very good.

It's not bad actually. I spent $65 for this and another copy of the IR8 demo. I figured I could sell the IR8 demo for a decent amount which would then offset the cost for the Tree Of The Sun/Blastula tape. Now I just have to get off my lazy ass and put it up on eBay.

And Monitarcturum, this tape has two projects Devin did with Jason Newsted long ago. Actually, I wouldn't call these projects. This tape and the IR8 tape are basically the result of a couple of dudes getting together, getting drunk and high, and then trying to create something close to listenable.

Newsted would then press up some tapes of these sessions and give them to friends and stuff. In that regard, the original cassettes are extremely rare. He did at one point put out an official CD with the IR8 and Sexoturica demos on it.