The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc

#63143 by Metalhead
Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:58 am
No idea, but you've just inspired me to go on another Sex and Religion bootleg hunt.

Hoorah! Found some that do exist! I've been looking for this for over a year now! :D

#63171 by STS
Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:04 am
Damn! I want that show!

#63186 by Ramses-Bringer Of War
Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:09 am
STS wrote:Damn! I want that show!

Me too...

#66990 by Janne
Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:35 am
Didnt' think of that! Time to go filehunting...

#67025 by 21st Century Jesus
Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:33 am
friend of mine said that sometime he read steve saying that steve might put out a sex and religion era live recording sometime... ask steve, i just heard it from a friend.

that mentioned bootleg is coming in slowly, but go for *edited*, thats where...

#67302 by Janne
Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:43 pm
*edited*, huh... The only P2P program I cant seem to undertand how it works... Grr...

#67584 by Archetype
Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:49 pm
I just saw a small piece of the video, and it features Devin with a MOHAWK :D
The quality is very low, btw. It's VHS, but even worse. And it looks like the cameraman was drunk or something.
#70900 by jak3y
Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:35 pm
Did Dev just do vocals or did he play guitar also?
I heard on the syl forums from Jed that Dev was playing circles around Vai!!! :D

#71583 by PUNCHLINE
Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:14 pm
Well, not sure about playing circles around Vai, in any way, shape or form! Dev did a very very short solo, showing off some fast picking and sweeping, which was cool, but as good a guitarist as Dev is, Vai was in no uncertain terms the master there!
Bootelg wise, i`ve got the show they did at Hammersmith Apollo in London on DVD, which is a one cam, audience shot affair, pretty poor sound ( which it was on the night, ear-bleedingly loud, and almost incomprehensible!), but was a great performance! Audio wise, I only have the show from the Commodore Ballroom, which is a soundboard, with very very loud vocals! Other Dev stuff-wise, I have the performance he did with the Wildhearts at the Reading Festival in `94, or `95, can`t remember, Pro-shot dvd, in which he looks even younger than he did with Vai!

As far as I`ve ever found, no pro-shot vids are available of Vai with Dev.
PL

#72879 by pnm
Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:16 pm
so who was in the touring band during sex and religion? I heard the drummer and bass player left the tour right away.

#73088 by Dr.Mosh
Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:50 am
IIRC the touring bass and drummer were the Bisonette brothers. I could be wrong though

#73927 by Barking Pumpkin
Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:43 pm
I want to hear this....I loved Sex And Religion so much.

#73945 by kettle
Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:20 pm
PUNCHLINE wrote:Well, not sure about playing circles around Vai, in any way, shape or form! Dev did a very very short solo, showing off some fast picking and sweeping, which was cool, but as good a guitarist as Dev is, Vai was in no uncertain terms the master there!
Bootelg wise, i`ve got the show they did at Hammersmith Apollo in London on DVD, which is a one cam, audience shot affair, pretty poor sound ( which it was on the night, ear-bleedingly loud, and almost incomprehensible!), but was a great performance! Audio wise, I only have the show from the Commodore Ballroom, which is a soundboard, with very very loud vocals! Other Dev stuff-wise, I have the performance he did with the Wildhearts at the Reading Festival in `94, or `95, can`t remember, Pro-shot dvd, in which he looks even younger than he did with Vai!

As far as I`ve ever found, no pro-shot vids are available of Vai with Dev.
PL

For all the supposed greatness of "blue powder" and "for the love of god" or whatever "emotional piece" Vai is supposed to be playing, it always comes across as "over emotional" like he's pretending to be emotional, almost like a sleezy salesman type of thing.

I saw "Vai" perform in Newport South Wales UK, what I think gives the idea that Devin was running circles around steve was his stage presence, he really did take your mind off steve vai and onto pajama clad hooliganism. I thought devy was taking the piss when he did some of the double guitar parts, like he was mimicking, it was a very unusual show. Made me keep following Devin and spend a lot less time listening to vai.