The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc

#74298 by Barking Pumpkin
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:57 pm
Yeah......I'm sure the demos from bands like Pain Of Salvation would also be great. You just seem to hear more about demos from bands that started out in a garage figuring out how to play their instruments than more accomplished bands for some reason.

#75904 by Guest
Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:52 am
The "demo" that gets me is Staring at the Love Load. That's a remix released on another band's EP damn it.

#78834 by CardDinour
Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:20 pm
so ive been thinking about getting Ass Sordid 1. would you say its really worth it ? whats been said here - obviously there are many songs on it , so its not just cuts and clips of stuff ?

#80610 by glidis
Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm
CardDinour wrote:so ive been thinking about getting Ass Sordid 1. would you say its really worth it ? whats been said here - obviously there are many songs on it , so its not just cuts and clips of stuff ?

Its definatly worth it.. the song "Ocean machines" is worth the full price alone, other good songs on it are Man, L.A (extremely cool acoustic song), Morwar.
And also the album flows really well, it feels like a real Dev record not a demo.

#83266 by GDiddy
Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:51 pm
I believe that the word "demo" applies to the functionality of the recording, not the quality level or mix. If you throw down tracks to see how a song will turn out, but don't finish it and make it a final product, you can still certainly give it a good mix and master it.

#83735 by Eyesore
Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:38 pm
The OM album benefits from the atmospheric tracks like Sister and 3AM. It wouldn't be the same without them.

#84059 by gurp13
Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:14 pm
I will agree that Dev's demos are the equivalent of most other bands' finished tracks. They are quite good. And, I also think that getting both the Ass-Sordid Demos I and the Christeen EP is essential to the Dev fan.

#85521 by Howard
Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:29 am
sister and 3am are amazing songs, imo.

#89207 by Naffis-kun
Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:54 am
Hey duders!
Can you remember the song called "Natural Science"?
A Rush cover by these guys:

Natural Science
Devin Townsend: Vocals
Matt Guillory: Keyboards
Deen Castronovo: Drums
James Murphy: Rhythm and Lead Guitars
Stuart Hamm: Bass
David Townson: ending Guitar solo

This is a great song. You should hear this one

#89529 by gurp13
Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:22 pm
Naffis-kun wrote:Hey duders!
Can you remember the song called "Natural Science"?
A Rush cover by these guys:

Natural Science
Devin Townsend: Vocals
Matt Guillory: Keyboards
Deen Castronovo: Drums
James Murphy: Rhythm and Lead Guitars
Stuart Hamm: Bass
David Townson: ending Guitar solo

This is a great song. You should hear this one

Where can that be found? I've never heard it and I'm a huge Rush fan. That is to say, I like Rush hugely, but am not, myself, all that huge.

#90040 by gurp13
Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:26 pm
Coma Divine wrote:It was released on the Working Man: A Tribute To Rush album a few years back.

Short clips can be found here:

http://www.magnacarta.net/audio/workingman.html

Killer! Thanks! I listened to the clip. Sounded fun to me and I'm a way longtime Rush fan. Maybe I should pick up that album.

#90141 by BlueRaja
Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:46 am
You definitely should! I think it's a nice album. Plus, it has other artists like John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Fates Warning, Sebastian Bach, George Lynch, Jake E. Lee, Steve Morse...on and on. :)

#90733 by Eyesore
Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:27 pm
I have the song if anyone needs it. Send me a PM. Do you have "Idom?" You guys NEED that song!