You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#106774 by GunJohn
Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:38 am
I've just finished my review of Synchestra.

Here you go: http://www.antenna.nu/webzine/index.php ... =3&id=2138

THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND
Synchestra

Madman or genius, Devin Townsend is most likely more the missing link between a workaholic and an extremely productive musician. The Canadian composer and sound engineer constantly manages to shock, impress or annoy either his fanbase, the press concurrently with hordes of critics – perhaps even in random order, and his musical legacy will be widely debated in the years following his exodus.

I’m not the archetypical diehard fan of Devin Townsend’s musical escapades, but I’ve been following his career ever since debuting on Steve Vai’s Sex and Religion in 1993 – an album which many of his current fans fail to detect as a monumental piece of work. You’ll meet several people who’ll state that Strapping Young Lad was Townsend’s first entry onto the music scene, and from a certain perspective Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing was the genesis of Devin Townsend’s borderline behaviour.

I’ve seen reviewer’s trying to construct an arbitrary categorisation of Townsend’s music for years, and many of these time capsules appear to be advanced. My contribution to this insanity would be the easy solution of drawing the currents of two diametrical opposite poles, naming these chaos and order, and subsequently place Townsend on a flexible string between these extremes. Not really imaginative, but still a fragment of the truth.

Supposed I’d have to say that it sounds like a synthesis Synchestra with his previous work, I’d settle on Strapping Young Lad’s much discussed SYL as well Ocean Machine’s Biomech, and these entries also happen to be my favourite albums from Devin Townsend.

Steve Vai performs a guitar solo on “Triumph”, and this contribution is a statement of the fact that Devin and Steve should’ve continued their cooperation in those early days. I could easily ramble on with visible evidences about how much Townsend’s music actually conveys traces of Steve Vai’s influences, but I’ll leave it with this.

Genius or madman? “Vampolka” is indeed a polka with ‘hompa, hompa’ from a tuba, and this track is a strike of genius, and I wish that Townsend would’ve succeeded in transforming his adept brilliance onto the final tracks of Synchestra; the latter part of the album is less intriguing than the first part, but no disgraces in sight. I’m in a generous mood, and Synchestra deserves the credit of five a’s.

5/6

Tell me what you guys think?! :D

#106780 by armheadmcgee
Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:29 am
Um, I'm not sure that a lot of those sentences make much sense. It seems like you tried to use a lot of big words, and I'm pretty sure you don't really know what a few of them mean. Also, there is not much actual review of the music in there, the first 3/4s is just talking about yourself and other reviewers.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick about it, but I really didn't understand what you were trying to say throughout the review.

#106835 by doomsoldier
Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:12 pm
Yeah, I also thought it could have used more discussion about Synchestra.

#106858 by Atari
Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:34 pm
just seemed like loads of trivia....not an actual review of the record to me.

#106866 by djskrimp
Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:20 pm
I'm reminded of a line from a very wise movie, "Billy Madison":

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I'm kidding, of course, but I think that you might want to edit the review and see if you can focus on the album more, and the rest of the stuff in your current review a LOT less.

#106897 by sj_2150
Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:47 pm
djskrimp wrote:Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ok a simple no would of done just fine but...

#106904 by Naffis-kun
Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:12 am
Well, it's a good thing you didn't spoil the album too much :).

#106909 by Nothing
Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:26 am
Yeah. The review does not mean anything to me.
#106914 by DonorByHabit
Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:50 am
GunJohn wrote:I've just finished my review of Synchestra.

Here you go: http://www.antenna.nu/webzine/index.php ... =3&id=2138

THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND
Synchestra

Madman or genius, Devin Townsend is most likely more the missing link between a workaholic and an extremely productive musician. The Canadian composer and sound engineer constantly manages to shock, impress or annoy either his fanbase, the press concurrently with hordes of critics – perhaps even in random order, and his musical legacy will be widely debated in the years following his exodus.

I’m not the archetypical diehard fan of Devin Townsend’s musical escapades, but I’ve been following his career ever since debuting on Steve Vai’s Sex and Religion in 1993 – an album which many of his current fans fail to detect as a monumental piece of work. You’ll meet several people who’ll state that Strapping Young Lad was Townsend’s first entry onto the music scene, and from a certain perspective Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing was the genesis of Devin Townsend’s borderline behaviour.

I’ve seen reviewer’s trying to construct an arbitrary categorisation of Townsend’s music for years, and many of these time capsules appear to be advanced. My contribution to this insanity would be the easy solution of drawing the currents of two diametrical opposite poles, naming these chaos and order, and subsequently place Townsend on a flexible string between these extremes. Not really imaginative, but still a fragment of the truth.

Supposed I’d have to say that it sounds like a synthesis Synchestra with his previous work, I’d settle on Strapping Young Lad’s much discussed SYL as well Ocean Machine’s Biomech, and these entries also happen to be my favourite albums from Devin Townsend.

Steve Vai performs a guitar solo on “Triumph”, and this contribution is a statement of the fact that Devin and Steve should’ve continued their cooperation in those early days. I could easily ramble on with visible evidences about how much Townsend’s music actually conveys traces of Steve Vai’s influences, but I’ll leave it with this.

Genius or madman? “Vampolka” is indeed a polka with ‘hompa, hompa’ from a tuba, and this track is a strike of genius, and I wish that Townsend would’ve succeeded in transforming his adept brilliance onto the final tracks of Synchestra; the latter part of the album is less intriguing than the first part, but no disgraces in sight. I’m in a generous mood, and Synchestra deserves the credit of five a’s.

5/6

Tell me what you guys think?! :D

I think Synchestra is great, but I'm not impressed with your review. You've managed to use a lot of flashy words, but you've failed to use them in a correct manner.

Be cool! Stay in school!

#106925 by Mudtrailer
Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:47 am
Bombastic definately: but that's not a review. 2 songs mentioned? half the album reviewed in a sentance? come on..... Put the thesaurus down and simply write about the album. If anything form your words that I actually gather anything from, your review should have it at 3/6 ...... but you were generous.... hahahahah dont get that either.

#106929 by asparagusDuck
Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:35 am
I agree, you should focus more on Synchestra. If I knew nothing about Synchestra I still would know nothing after reading that review. If you're worried about it being a spoiler you could always post it in the spoiler section.

#106933 by Greg Reason
Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:52 am
Personally, this album doesn't remind me of the SYL self titled album at all, something which I am very glad of. I would say Infinity with Terria.

#106945 by chrisslight
Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:49 am
Well I didnt think it was that bad of a review. Could do with being a bit more in depth with induvidual songs maybe, but its still solid. So I shant join the concensus of hateing this review, heh.

#106995 by Coma Divine
Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:25 pm
OK, I'll lock this one now...not because of any hassles with thread, just that we have a Sticky thread in place for reviews now - to keep 'em all under the one roof, so to speak.

Thanks to all for their input here. :)