The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#59831 by doomsoldier
Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:20 pm
I can't find any reviews or sound samples for these recordings anywhere. Are they mostly just jamming, or are the songs actually like songs? Are they worth ordering?

#59833 by DivideByZero
Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:56 pm
They are both indeed worth purchasing. And, yes, they are (mostly) songs.

#59846 by Metalmonkey
Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:14 am
I've just got both, (along with Infinty EP, which has a couple of demos), and i enjoy them as much as a regular album. It's really interesting to hear the early stuff (like what became Velvet Kevorkian, or "War" without the guitars!!) as well as "new" songs. And the sound of those demos is really good!
The stuff on those album is like Ocean Machine, but in a more Heavy metal way (The song "Man" on Ocean Machine can give you a first idea). There's nothing like SYL.

#59854 by hairy
Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:51 am
they are definitely not as good as an album...
The songs "man" and "ocean machines" are nice though...

#59861 by ForceFed
Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:40 am
I have Ass-Sordid I, and i'd definetly say it's worth the purchase, just for Ocean Machines. Not saying the rest isn't good, but Ocean Machines is just incredible.

#59865 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:15 am
maaaan the demos are awesome!!! if i had money i would have purchased them a loooong time ago...

#59866 by Blazingmonga
Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:24 am
They are both worth your money, definately.

AS1 has some really strong songs (Ocean Machines is outstanding as well as My Girl or Red Tomorrow) but ultimately these are still demos. AS2 is the disc I listen much more, as all the songs feel much more 'solid' and they are all gems. Worth the money for Thick Stock or Cold.

What am I saying? I dont know, but they are both excellent. Though not up to the quality of the 'demos' on the Christeen EP, the songs on both these discs are very good songs. Some really good music, and you can tell its the same Devy you probably love.

#59903 by psychotic
Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:22 pm
I'd say both of them are worth the money. Not every song is absolutely killer, but as a whole it's still good music all around. A little bit more of a cheesy metal sound to it, but again, as a whole, it's some pretty good stuff.

#59909 by mo
Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:49 pm
ill burn you a copy... juuuuust kidding

#59935 by Burzum
Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:32 pm
Yep, Ass-Sordid Demos is worth purchasing for the Ocean Machines track alone. What a riff!!! Amazing

And as for the Chisteen single, it's a must own. Om and Sit in the Mountain are superb, as is the waltz. It's almost another album in its own right.

#60063 by King Fear
Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:35 am
Yup, the tracks on the Christeen single aren't even "demos" IMO... the sound quality and level of development is equivalent to Infinity. They were just left off the album because Dev was in a strange headspace at the time, or something...

#60191 by Metalmonkey
Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:52 pm
hairy wrote:they are definitely not as good as an album...
The songs "man" and "ocean machines" are nice though...

Of course the albums are way better, i meant you can listen to it like you would listen to any album, because he didn't redo any songs to put in regular albums.

And "Ocean machines" is really a great song. It would have been the "Earth day" of Biomech. I dig the song "Soft" too.

#60199 by Metalhead
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:31 pm
As the heating's broken at home, the song Cold off Ass-Sordid 2 hit a special chord with me today as I sat here, freezing in my room. Both Ass-Sordids are damn good albums.

But they're albums as a collection of songs, rather than one flowing 'album' in the Devy sense. That makes them different from his other stuff, but many of the songs on the two albums certainly stand up in their own right and you can hear Dev's inimitable style and humour shining through even in the earliest songs :)

#60201 by mo
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:36 pm
Metalhead wrote:As the heating's broken at home, the song Cold off Ass-Sordid 2 hit a special chord with me today as I sat here, freezing in my room. Both Ass-Sordids are damn good albums.

But they're albums as a collection of songs, rather than one flowing 'album' in the Devy sense. That makes them different from his other stuff, but many of the songs on the two albums certainly stand up in their own right and you can hear Dev's inimitable style and humour shining through even in the earliest songs :)

Its summer here now... finally!!

#60265 by Metalhead
Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:34 am
It'd be so weird to have christmas over there, especially when on all our cards we have all the wintery images of snow, frost and people wrapped up warm. That's if you even have cards :P

Does Santa ride round on a beach buggy in shorts? :wink: