The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#62355 by CorruptSociety
Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:27 pm
Hey guys. I'm a new fan of the Devin Townsend band and I just recently got into his music. I'm just curious about a rumor my friends have been telling me. They say that Devin Townsend had some kind of breakdown after one of his albums? They said he went too deep inside himself and he basically lost his mind? Can anyone confirm this? Give me more details about this? Is this true?

Any info or sources would be great.

#62418 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:02 pm
I think it was after infinity... it took a lot out of him. I wouldn't look too much into it though, Dev sure knows how to make great music. Just sit back and wait for thee new shiiit ... yehaw.

#62420 by mo
Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:12 pm
i 2nd that...

let the bright prospects of the future overcome the shadows of the past i say

#62440 by simen_88
Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:53 am
Well, he did make Infinity while the manic/depressive was at it's worst, so I don't think that's impossible. I've heard Devlab is scary in that it truly shows madness and all that jazz.

#62444 by Snaga
Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:24 am
And all that jazz

#62458 by CorruptSociety
Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:17 am
Can someone please broaden this a little? I'm just curious. Was there a specific reason for his manic breakdown? Where can I find sources on this? Is there a website? News article? Something?

#62460 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:24 am
I dont really think theres any of that, uh, and the cause i believe was just the stress and how much it took out of him to make the album. I also believe he 'checked himself in' after the album was released...

For your convenience here are some articles and interviews although i dont think they'll answer

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~caffnjen/d ... rviews.htm

And for entertainment: a maute dingas page o.0

http://www.axs.com.au/~vk3aaw/dingas.html

#62553 by gurp13
Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:03 pm
Now, does anyone see why a FAQ created by fans would be useful here? :D

Corrupt, this is not meant to flame you or make you feel embarassed so I'm sorry if it sounds that way. I've been here only a couple of months and I've seen this question asked several times.

The story is that Devin suffers from a form of bipolar disorder which has often been helped by his art. From what I hear, he was particularly affected during the making of Infinity and was exhausted after it was done and therefore checked in, on his own, to a mental health facility. He didn't go crazy or anything, but needed some assistance. From what I understand, he has gotten help and feels much better these days, which is great news! Too many people think it's shameful to be afflicted by these ailments. It would be like being ashamed to have cancer or something. People who are sick should be able to get well and get help. I think Devin is a good example to others that you can get help and lead a productive life! Hope that helps!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Devin Townsend! :)

#62592 by Ibanezjem777
Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:33 pm
Snaga wrote:And all that jazz

Jazz has been known to do that to people * caugh * lenny breau *caugh*

#62612 by Persuader
Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:43 pm
Screw jazz, _jizz_ is the latest thing. It´s like bubblegum pop - sticky and wont go away. Most ladies wont deal with it either...

#62635 by gurp13
Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:46 pm
Ohhh, so that's why we all refer to Infinity as "the jazz album". It all makes sense now.

#63135 by Ibanezjem777
Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:43 am
whats wrong with jazz? its some of the most complex music in the world.

#63164 by simen_88
Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:22 am
Jazz is good and all, but most people who posted in this thread are going to pun hell.