The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#199835 by The Dev
Thu May 28, 2009 4:25 pm
Sure, point taken.

My thought is maybe that moderation is not the only true freedom. I know lots of moderate people, but I don't know many who are truly free...lots of people that confuse freedom with other things though.

You do what you can with what you've got I suppose, like what you like, define ourselves in the ways that seem appropriate, and sure...asking questions or understanding the true motivator for things probably isn't important (or even interesting)...I'm accountable for everything I am though (proffesionaly), so knowing my honest motivations definitely help me at this point.

I just want honsety....and I'll tell you, 200 interviews in 2 months containing very similar questions (drugs, syl, why Ki? etc...) puts you in a defensive position when it comes to your motivation, so my need to know is based on doing music again, and needing to have my shit together. Do I think it's necessary? Do I think people should follow me? hell no...you get asked questions, and if your job is to explain yourself...you do the best you can.

And thats what I do.
#199839 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 4:36 pm
I'm no moderate person neither am I truly free. I'm just now free of the crap that was flippant disregard for the effects of cannabis. This is where context fits into the bill. There isn't truly one thing that binds all situations into an easily solution. It's not the answer to everything.

Perhaps Addiction is more relevant a name for this next record than anything else could be.

Keep doing what you do Dev, And don't take this clobber too seriously now. I hope that the most you have done is simply considered what I had to say, and don't feel the need to answer to it. You have no-one but yourself to do that for. I'm always interested by what you have to say in your interviews, and I hope that Addicted fulfils any needs to express yourself for the time being, at least until the next one comes out. :wink:
Last edited by Nevaeh on Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#199841 by Amber
Thu May 28, 2009 4:40 pm
The Dev wrote:Sure, point taken.

My thought is maybe that moderation is not the only true freedom. I know lots of moderate people, but I don't know many who are truly free...lots of people that confuse freedom with other things though.

You do what you can with what you've got I suppose, like what you like, define ourselves in the ways that seem appropriate, and sure...asking questions or understanding the true motivator for things probably isn't important (or even interesting)...I'm accountable for everything I am though (proffesionaly), so knowing my honest motivations definitely help me at this point.

I just want honsety....and I'll tell you, 200 interviews in 2 months containing very similar questions (drugs, syl, why Ki? etc...) puts you in a defensive position when it comes to your motivation, so my need to know is based on doing music again, and needing to have my shit together. Do I think it's necessary? Do I think people should follow me? hell no...you get asked questions, and if your job is to explain yourself...you do the best you can.

And thats what I do.

Yup, You're right with the moderation thing there. I think a lot of people though, don't see the difference between restraint, and moderation.

Also - I noticed obviously the questions were very similar. I tried to think of why, and the only thing I guess I could think of is, "Well, why would they ask anything else?!"
It must get a little tiring though, surely its a little like repeating yourself? If you don;t mind me asking, of course.

Also - if you're ever in England and want a female vocalist, I'm totally there. 8) (sorry, Neveah, had to offer too. :P we can team up if you like. Haha)
#199845 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 4:50 pm
lol i took mine off cause i wondered if it would be taken wierdly by anyone - eep :wink:

on the other hand, i heard a nice story today.
One of my best mates (who's on here but shall not be named unless he wants to be) has a signed photograph of devin. Apparently he first heard him when he was alot younger (about 13 he said - somewhere around Terria) and wrote a handwritten thing to dev just paying some respects. Dev sent him back a signed pic of him posing with his strat for free. He's now got it framed in his room. I just thought that was cool.
#199847 by Amber
Thu May 28, 2009 4:53 pm
That is pretty cool.

I found out awhile ago, that I could of met Devin when I was 4! My mum used to tour around with The Wildhearts, during the time Dev was with them. She was good friends with Ginger at the time. She'd take me along occasionally. She said she'd hunt out the photos for me at some point, to see if it is.

How weird is that? :P

and nah - I'm pretty sure most people here would sacrifice a toe to play with Dev. :P (Why a toe? I dunno. First object that popped to my head.)
#199849 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm
off topic, but watch this...hit HQ btw....im addicted to bugger to it atm.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSYNhfkNGco&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSYNhfkNGco&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
#199863 by daneulephus
Thu May 28, 2009 6:42 pm
I used to do any drug I could get my hands on....and seriously the only thing that saved me was eliminating myself from that scene and the people associated with it, and a belief in something bigger than myself. self will runs me riot.....

Off subject I know, but my two cents are worth something right?

Dan
#199955 by Wander
Fri May 29, 2009 10:38 am
I can't really answer questions regarding why I like heavy music, cause I have hard time trying to figure out why I like any type of music.

I don't know if I'm a fan of the heaviness itself (as in blasting out fucked up fast, brutal riffs and drum beats). I do know that I like melody, atmosphere and emotion in music. I don't really enjoy stuff that sound really mechanic, you know...

But trying to tell WHY I like the music I like is just really, really hard to me especially now. I could have answered it a lot better 2 years ago when I was basically all metal, the more progressive, complex and technical, the better. Then I accidentally got into one band that wasn't metal at all and then it just expanded from there A LOT.

But I'm still in the middle of this discovering of all this new stuff and I also have this problem with being really self-conscious with the music I listen. I know it's ridiculous, but there's some stuff I only listen through headphones or when I'm alone. It's partly cause I think I have some sort of status with what I listen (metal and progressive rock guy).

But ehm.... I like metal, I like the power in it, but basically I've learned that I like ANY MUSIC that has the emotional effect on me. And with metal actually only a couple of dozen of bands do that for me. Then there's other stuff that's nice, heavy, powerful and all, but it's just that. It doesn't get me as deep as something like... Dev.

Sorry for the weird rambling that doesn't make any sense, but I'm basically just writing my thoughts down. Trying to get a clue of my preferences.
#199980 by daneulephus
Fri May 29, 2009 2:42 pm
Jormungandr wrote:Textures is fantastic. Very intense.

Yes, Textures is insane.....damn near everything I ever wanted in a band as far as diversity between heaviness, groove, ambience, technicality and melody. Though they will never top Dev in my book....

Anyone ever heard of a guitarist named Guthrie Govan? Jeez he is terrifying.....and looks really cool hahaha.

Dan

http://www.myspace.com/1omegaproject
#199982 by Nevaeh
Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm
Yeah he's amazing, does clinics around the uk all the time. He looks like he's straight out a south devon folk band, but plays like a monster. He uses suhr guitars i think, but i heard he'd swapped to Tom Anderson's recently.

Amazing phrasing, one of the most technically proficient with the biggest guitar "vocabulary" I've heard. He's pretty much took a shot at every sort of genre in his music and made it stunning. Tosin Abasi has some very similar phrasing, its awesome. I've gotten into a guy called Justin King over the years, youtube him. "Untitled Project" will probably amaze you. Very unorthodox, very technical, but actually sounds beautiful!

As for Textures, I'd never compare them to Devin further than the guy has a similar vocal style on his clean stuff. That said, If you like Accelerated Evolution or Biomech, you'll like Textures.
#200019 by hairbearbunch
Fri May 29, 2009 7:49 pm
The Dev wrote:Cool, I guess my point is WHY do you identify with it... rarely are things surface deep I think. And not to be a dick either, I like heavy too...but why does this music resonate during times of stress? Catharsis? Stress? Projection? alleviating internal chaos by externalizing it? What is our true nature and why is it cathartic...is that healthy? Is it unhealthy? Does it matter? Why do you want to scare your parents etc...

I guess thats the theme of Deconstruction.

I have no point or answers, just some questions and hypothesis.

I recall learning that our appreciation for music stems from our fish brain (I don't know how true that is, or on what assumptions or tests). So I assume that the evolutionary path/make-up of your current being (and current music taste) is connected to elements of you're fish selves.
Music is vibrations, we are all vibrations, just depends how the resonance feels I guess. In relation to what is majestically debatable I thinks, over-souls, your place in the Universe right NOW etc....
#200023 by dtb30
Fri May 29, 2009 8:52 pm
HEY ALL YOU DEV FANS!!! THANKS FOR POSTING COMMENTS ON THE THREAD. I STARTED THIS AND NEVER THOUGHT ALL OF OF YOU WOULD CARE. THANK YOU AND DEVIN!!! WITH ALL THE TALK IN THIS THREAD I WANT TO HAVE AN QUESTION ANSWERED. EVERYONE IS WELCOMED TO REPLY. THIS IS FOR DEVIN AND EVERYONE ONE THAT FEELS THE SAME. IS IT ME OR DOES DEV NOT ENJOY DOING THESE INTERVIEWS. I MET DEVIN AND HE SEEMED SO COOL AND THESE INTERVIEWERS SEEM TO PISS HIM OFF. ITS LIKE DEVIN SAID MANY TIMES, IF HE LIKES YOU THEN THERE IS A VIBE. DEV WAS SO COOL TO ME AND MY FRIEND, HE TALKED TO US FOR ABOUT 45 MIN TO AN HOUR. I THINK I COULD DO A BETTER INTERVIEW WITH DEVIN AND HE WOULD BE IN HIS NORM AND BE FUNNY AND FRIENDLY. I DONT KNOW, IF ANYONE HAS MET DEVIN THEN YOU KNOW. HE SEEMS DISLIKE THEM. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND DEV, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS.