All I need is this city and this mind and I will get by...
#282118 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:49 am
I've always interpreted it as the frustrations of being a loner who wants to escape the bounds of the society in which he was raised; constantly tested and bombarded by the cold advances of others, like the kid in a schoolyard with hate in his eyes who's always a target (or feels he is); who's tired of being alone but doesn't want to open up, who wants to challenge what's keeping him isolated, but is sick of the bullshit he has to go through to be accepted for who he is.

Of course, that's just my view.
#282503 by Ultimetalhead
Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 pm
^Agreed. And in the desire to be different, yet accepted, you get pushed into the "wrong crowd", and you're likely to get hooked on drugs and all sorts of other deviant behaviors.

I really see the whole song as a chronicle of Devin's corruption.
#311715 by LicoriceLain
Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:53 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:I've always interpreted it as the frustrations of being a loner who wants to escape the bounds of the society in which he was raised; constantly tested and bombarded by the cold advances of others, like the kid in a schoolyard with hate in his eyes who's always a target (or feels he is); who's tired of being alone but doesn't want to open up, who wants to challenge what's keeping him isolated, but is sick of the bullshit he has to go through to be accepted for who he is.

Of course, that's just my view.

In a way, that problem explains why I feel as I do about the song.
#311767 by static2
Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm
i'd add that it continues from Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing in that it has a very bitter (this time also drunken) view of modern life in the city: do as you're told, do your shitty job, suck it up to pay rent, act like everyone else, keep the cogs rolling. it's a perspective on what it's like when the city waves hit you full-on, as is the rest of the record, with the crux being about getting drunk to try to deal with it.