Face your chaos, know who you are!
#192138 by Dewy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:21 pm
I'm 4 and a half minutes through Terminal at this point.

I like it. Its obviously much different than what you've put out in the past, Dev, but I think it fits you. I feel your voice fits this kind of music better than on the other albums. I like the way that its got the ambient, chilled out feel, but its not as hard to get into as The Hummer or Devlab.

Beautiful tones, man. Is it all primarily Budda? I recall seeing in some of the preview jam videos there were some tweed fenders, I think a bassman?

As I said, its different, but I'm currently getting tired of my music collection, and change is nice. Especially when it comes from someone I hold in such high regards as yourself.

by the way, I'm definitely still buying this when it officially releases.

EDIT: Just got to the solo about half way through Heaven Send. Very cool, almost a Jack White feel with the pitch shifting :guitar:
Last edited by Dewy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#192140 by daneulephus
Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:31 pm
Just got back from the beach....

My best friend and I have a bond with Dev's music....and both decided if it was ok with Devin, it was ok with us to download Ki. We took it to the beach and soaked it all in while looking at Lake Michigan.....his car has infiniti speakers, and it sounded AMAZING, even being in wpl form.

I haven't felt that emotional with Dev's music in quite awhile....maybe since Terria. Ki is the most glorious moment....the ultimate crescendo.

He wasn't kidding when he said "heavy chill". Man I have never heard anything like this. His voice sounds soooo pure and clean, as do the instruments. This is a production marvel. I mean, the middle of "Heaven Send"? C'mon man! that was pure genius. I am listening again back at home, and I am sure this will be just one of 738534757834905734593 more times.

Thank you so much Devin......I can already tell this will be the soundtrack to mine and my best friend's summer. :D
#192141 by jesse6669
Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:47 pm
daneulephus wrote:Just got back from the beach....

My best friend and I have a bond with Dev's music....and both decided if it was ok with Devin, it was ok with us to download Ki. We took it to the beach and soaked it all in while looking at Lake Michigan.....his car has infiniti speakers, and it sounded AMAZING, even being in wpl form.

I haven't felt that emotional with Dev's music in quite awhile....maybe since Terria. Ki is the most glorious moment....the ultimate crescendo.

He wasn't kidding when he said "heavy chill". Man I have never heard anything like this. His voice sounds soooo pure and clean, as do the instruments. This is a production marvel. I mean, the middle of "Heaven Send"? C'mon man! that was pure genius. I am listening again back at home, and I am sure this will be just one of 738534757834905734593 more times.

Thank you so much Devin......I can already tell this will be the soundtrack to mine and my best friend's summer. :D

That sounds amazing. im listning to it while watching my gforce visualizer, its great
#192148 by BlahC
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:21 pm
The end of Trainfire is probably the best I've ever heard, makes me want to cry and smile at the same time. And "Terminal"...when it's my time to kick the bucket, I want to listen to that song at that time.

Seems to be "in" these days for critics to give bad ratings to the best things, like the new Cynic album and many of the newer pc games I like *sigh*
#192149 by junkmonkey
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:32 pm
robvondoom wrote: By the way if anyone has a PS3 you have to listen to this with the Earth animation on the visual player. With surround sound speakers the experience is unbelievable. :shock:

:mrgreen:

YES!!!i love listening to Dev's music with the Earth visualization on the PS3,extremely relaxing.......and as for Ki........absolutely incredible!Disruptr is an incredibly heavy song while sticking to clean mainly clean tones,kinda reminds of Tomahawk in a way but very cool nonetheless. Downloaded it yesterday and it's all i've been listening too,felt great while listening to it when i went to bed,feels great while listening to it when awake because it takes me on a trip in my head and let's my imagination run wild :) and i love Demon League...very haunting but still very beautiful

Overall I can say with confidence that I have not been let down in any way,I can't wait to buy it when it hits stores in June (was gonna import it but now i can wait :P ) I can't wait to read the lyrics and all the little notes in the booklet,i can't wait to put it next to the rest of my Devin/Strapping collection (they get their own CD rack away from everything else :) )i can't wait until the other 3 albums come out and i can't wait to get my grubby devin fanboy hands on the boxset when it comes out!It's a VERY good time to be a devy fan right now and I couldn't be happier!

I CANNOT wait to listen to listen to this on those summer nights staring at the stars in the sky at night (Terminal will PERFECT for this) and I can't wait to listen to this on the plane ride to Taiwan this summer. Alotta pressure at school right now 'cause it's the tail end of the semester when everything's coming to an end but I have this album to listen to now and life couldn't be any more glorious because of it :D Thank you for creating beautiful music Dev!
#192151 by Dewy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:42 pm
Just finished it (I took a break to go walk my dogs).

I WILL say, it definitely leaves me wanting more. I'm really excited for the next 3, Dev.

I'm gonna point out one thing i think could have been done differently. I think it would have been cool to put Quiet Riot and Demon League before Ki. I think the crescendo would have been the perfect place to leave off, for the next album to pick up from. When all the other albums are out, I'm going to play them back to back, from Ki<Addicted<Deconstruction<4th, to really experience it from the beginning, listen to the climax, and then wind back down again.

Its going to be a good year.
#192152 by OceanMachine15
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:50 pm
BlahC wrote:The end of Trainfire is probably the best I've ever heard, makes me want to cry and smile at the same time. And "Terminal"...when it's my time to kick the bucket, I want to listen to that song at that time.

lol I almost couldn't breathe Friday Night from congestion. I could only breathe about halfway and I thought I was gonna die from lack of oxygen in my sleep. The last thing I thought of before I fell asleep was "Well, at least I got to hear Ki." :dead:
#192154 by Eat Beets
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:02 pm
mineralinsulated wrote:the title track is glorious.

This.
#192159 by AlucardXIX
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:25 pm
I keep noticing tiny little things. I really hope Dev does a 5.1 mix of this album. There are such tiny nuances in every song that come from all angles. Its such a subtle album in terms of guitar playing and all but in terms of layering it is far from subtle.
#192161 by teller
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:04 pm
Trainfire makes me nearly cream my pants...nearly--it's a tease!

My money is yours, Devin!
#192167 by OceanMachine15
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:41 pm
One thing I do wanna know from anyone, and I'll post it on the next page too. I'm doing the tabs for Ki, and I wanted to know if anyone really even wanted em. If so, what do you want me to tab? I love tabbing Dev's music and I'm pretty good at it. Found an easier (and probably more correct) way of playing Gato too for those who saw my Gato tab. I'll update if anyone wishes.

I have made these tabs and can give them to those who want
Hide Nowhere
Random Analysis
Pixillate
ZTO
By Your Command
Hyperdrive (THE CORRECT ONE)
Planet Smasher
Color Your World
The Greys
Om
Demon League