Face your chaos, know who you are!
#192052 by BlueRaja
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:36 am
Because it was leaked. Leaked is the keyword here. When it's an official release, it'll get its own section, just like all the other albums. Be happy you have a thread to discuss spoilers. Do you actually think I enjoy reading through all this when I've chosen to wait for its official date? :P Not to mention the other Mods who are also waiting.

And he's getting feedback in this thread - not to worry.
#192057 by jason_becker_fanatic
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:56 am
Now that i have dev's blessing i downloaded and instantly fuckin loved it!

As a wanna be music producer myself the album just makes me appreciate the work that dev put into the album, its absoluty fuckin unbelievable from beginning to end.

Im without a dought going to buy it becuase dev is one of my favourite artists and i wana support him so he tours and continues to make records.

Unbelievable job dev!
#192058 by Hrellir
Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:01 pm
I am surprised how cool Devin is about the leak. Spending all this time working on this, to have it leak a month before the actual release. Kudos to him, shows what a cool guy he is.

Even though the leak sucks, I guess it's nice for him to know just how much people are looking forward to the album. Bright side to everything I guess. I also don't think anyone here that downloaded it doesn't intend on buying it when it's released.
#192061 by FUBAR
Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:12 pm
Ok yeh now that Devs has made it well...kinda ok to download it I have, just about to listen, wether its any good or not I'm still gonna buy it out of respect for the man, but i think im gonna cream anyway... :D
#192062 by ScottMcTony
Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:15 pm
I couldn't possibly find this boring. Although my previous favourite light thing had a way about it that I could understand people finding boring as well, which was a toss up between Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. This blew me away far more than either of those did. So yeah, I have a thing for slow "boring" music. Well at least as much as I'm neutral to it and fast changeups and shit. Anyway, I honestly don't look at this album the way I have ever looked at other music. It's like, only 40% rip off, that's 30 less than anything else I've heard, it's almost disorientingly original.
#192072 by odiz
Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:20 pm
Sounds very different than anything else. I hated Ziltoid, and I'm very glad it doesn't sound anything like that (no drumkit from hell, thank god). Good to hear that things have been stripped down production-wise, and the old dude on drums knows his shit. Still to early to say what to make of this, but the first thing that hit me was the lenght - it could probably been shorter. Very nice touch to get rid of the lvl11 fuzz, look at how heavy Earth is without it.
Congrats on quitting alchoholocaust and dope, and hope most of us sinners actually pay for this when it is released.
#192075 by Purple Phoenix
Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:40 pm
At first I felt guilty for downloading it... thanks for your approval, Dev. I needed a lift yesterday and couldn't wait two more months, but I will most definitely buy the deluxe edition when it comes out.
When I first listened to Ki, I was... surprised. It was certainly not my favorite experience, and has challenged my taste in music more than anything I've recently listened to or bought. But by the end of my second listen, I was totally enthralled. Ki has captured the atmosphere of Terria, but stripped away the thickness and heaviness... I've been waiting for a "quiet" Dev album for a long time, having enjoyed some of the softer moments of Terria, but always jostled out of peace by the heavier bits (which are by no means anything less than brilliant). Ki, however, seems deeply personal, a spiritual accompaniment through quiet thoughts. It is rich in beauty, and in emotion, though it is subdued. It is perhaps more suited to background-listening than the other albums, but I've found it's a perfect companion for making art, or for relaxing at the end of a long day.
From a more technical aspect, my favorite parts are admittedly the parts that break the calm a little bit: especially the soaring end to Ki and the "Run away, just run away" from Coast (which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. The jazzy drums add some jive, and it's so refreshing and rich to have very audible bass in the mix, not to mention beautiful vocals that play with minimalism and quiet and guitars that alternate between crushing, fun, and beautifully quiet. And of course the female vocals add an incredibly unique, surprising, and enjoyable touch.
So, at this point (probably about 10 listens in), I have to say that I love Ki- I may not always be in the mood for quiet, minimalistic music, but its escapism, serenity, and playfulness offer a unique release of stress and reassurance, all the while being extremely pleasing to my ears. Ki will certainly be among my favorite albums (and oddities, among my CD collection) for quite some time. Beautiful work, Dev- glad to see you spreading out more. Not that I wouldn't love more of the same, too. ;-)
#192076 by DieHard
Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:43 pm
The Dev wrote:If you don't compare it to Terria or the others, thats probably a good thought.

A little hard to do though, I understand.

Give it time!

How can you compare any of your albums to each other? They're all different, they're all beautiful in their own way.

I couldn't help myself on this one, I know I shouldn't of but I'll make sure to buy it when it comes out because I'm going to feel guilty as hell. All I can say is, this is just perfect, everything melts together perfectly. From Coast to Ki, it's just so relaxing and brilliant. I love the vocal style of the girl and Dev, the drumming fits in pretty well too, better than ziltoid. Maybe because it doesn't sound like a machine, more like a real person putting feeling into it. I'm not praising you as a god or anythin Dev, but this is just magical. It feels like a cross between The Hummer, Devlab and a bit of Synchestra, I like the sound a lot and I am anticipating the other three releases. Keep up the good work Dev!
#192086 by ScottMcTony
Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:58 pm
I generally prefer your heavy stuff, and in general I don't prefer heavy stuff, so I would dare to say you're better at heavy music? Anyway, this still blows anything I have previously heard of yours away, so if you're just generally this good clean (congratulations by the way, though I am going to be selfish and mostly care about the effect it has on your music) then Deconstruction will be more greatness than my mind can contain.
#192093 by Luna_ad_Noctum
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:15 pm
The Dev wrote:If you don't compare it to Terria or the others, thats probably a good thought.

A little hard to do though, I understand.

Give it time!

I think it's less that, and more people thinking 'I was expecting something heavy in the 'metal' sense of the word.' (despite the fact that it's been called a calm record over and over.)
#192094 by Lettuce
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:24 pm
Love it.

It had the same impact on me as Physicist, took a few listens for it to stick. Literally had it playing on my Zen all of yesterday and this morning. Can't stop now, it's beautiful! Gonna buy it asap.

Thank you Dev!