Face your chaos, know who you are!
#206595 by cjb
Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:42 pm
The Dev wrote:It'll definitely come out...and soon (it's finished) maybe just a couple of months for me to make it perfect etc...

Sorry to freak you out if I have.

d

dude......its your music......I'm only here to enjoy what you want to share with me

take your time....

enjoy the summer, go on a holiday, take your kid to the pool and suck in your gut as you pass the hot lifeguards......or is that just me? 8)
#206598 by Ravonite
Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:49 pm
The Dev wrote:It'll definitely come out...and soon (it's finished) maybe just a couple of months for me to make it perfect etc...

Sorry to freak you out if I have.

d

Good things come to those who wait ! [/Guiness advertisement]

You didn't freak me out. That centipede thing in the Addicted YT vid freaked me out! SERIOUSLY WHAT WAS THAT AND WHAT WAS IT HOLDING?
#206621 by GuyOne
Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:20 pm
I think it is time to spin Ki again. On the days I have evening or night shift I always wake up with my daughter and play Ki while I am preparing the day, organizing things, and my daughter is watching "Pikku Kakkonen" the kids program on Channel 2 in Finland. But I haven't played it in a couple of weeks. Just put it on now and half way into A Monday and I already get those chills of excitement with just how excellent this album is.
#206632 by frankenchrist
Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:39 pm
The Dev wrote:
I want to enjoy life and play music that people love, I want to play live, but not metal.

To do metal the way people want, I need to do drugs...I won't do drugs though. Sorry.

Hi, long time reader, first time poster and like everyone, a big fan.

In regards to this Dev, are the reasons that you can't/won't play metal live or at all from now on is because of what you went through and did for all of those years with SYL and your solo? Would it remind you of a bad time every time you would go up on stage and screamed a nugget out? What I also thought was because you had other substances flowing through you veins as you wrote all of those albums years ago, that you wouldn't be able to write a metal album now that you are clean?

That's all, sorry if it feels like a passage from a Dr.Phil book. Its just what sprung to mind when I read it. Congratulations on Ki, hope Addicted isn't taking away your sanity too much and glad to hear that you are taking the time to find yourself and making music that's honest, and if it helps, Accelerated Evolution made me love writing music and playing guitar again.

All the best.
#206700 by Ragen
Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am
Hey, think this is my first post on HDF but I've been reading since the buildup to Ki. The album has grown on me massively and I started off really liking it. It's really intense and beautiful, a pretty unique album. I'm looking forward to whatever comes next man, I haven't had a chance to get hold of any ambient stuff by you so I'd love to hear some of that as much as I'm looking forward to Addicted and Deconstruction.
#206705 by daneulephus
Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am
frankenchrist wrote:
The Dev wrote:
I want to enjoy life and play music that people love, I want to play live, but not metal.

To do metal the way people want, I need to do drugs...I won't do drugs though. Sorry.

Hi, long time reader, first time poster and like everyone, a big fan.

In regards to this Dev, are the reasons that you can't/won't play metal live or at all from now on is because of what you went through and did for all of those years with SYL and your solo? Would it remind you of a bad time every time you would go up on stage and screamed a nugget out? What I also thought was because you had other substances flowing through you veins as you wrote all of those albums years ago, that you wouldn't be able to write a metal album now that you are clean?

That's all, sorry if it feels like a passage from a Dr.Phil book. Its just what sprung to mind when I read it. Congratulations on Ki, hope Addicted isn't taking away your sanity too much and glad to hear that you are taking the time to find yourself and making music that's honest, and if it helps, Accelerated Evolution made me love writing music and playing guitar again.

All the best.

Wow...you look a hell of alot like Ace Frehley.

8)
#207170 by Ravonite
Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:41 pm
Propane wrote:So if your not heavy anymore, can we still call you hevy devy?

I doubt he "is not heavy anymore" it depends what you define "heavy". Is it the speed of the song? The dark chugging distorted detuned guitars? Double kick? Hair?

In my opinion Ki is one of the HEAVIEST albums Dev's released. In terms of being restricted, bottling up and just letting it slip for one moment and letting the anger flow for what may be 10 seconds or a minute. Take for example, Disruptr, it may sound soft on the first listen, but you can actually feel the anger in Dev's voice listening again as well as the rising buildup by the end.

HevyDevy reigns supreme.
#207178 by Propane
Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:29 pm
I was joking because some people on here are worried about Addicted and future albums being less "hevy".

Actually, it's nice to see everyone on the board giving him advice. We all need support sometimes and Dev is lucky to have such a great fan base. It says something about his music I think.

To Devy: Cheer up! There is no such thing as perfect production. If you are worried about the mix show it to one of your engineer friends and let them help you tweak any issues. Don't over-think it.

Oh and keep smiling, you Canadian Bastard! :D
#207241 by islandsinthesky
Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:52 pm
Josiah is making the entire message board his bitch tonight.

Also I agree with what he actually said. Heaviness is more about intensity of sound than type.
#207285 by daneulephus
Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:45 am
Josiah Tobin wrote:Regarding "Heavy"-- I believe "heavy" is the dynamics between quiet and loud, not distortion or chugging or blastbeats... Just throwing that out there.

~Josiah

Thrown. And caught.

I couldn't agree more.
#207424 by snail415
Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:36 am
Dev,

I have read your last week's updates, and I'm glad you're gonna step away from it all. Sometimes you have to.
But here, you really don't need to explain yourself. If 'softer' stuff is where it's at, screw it. Soft it is. It's all relative. Hell, Rush is heavy to me.

I think (and hope) that you are brave enough to take breaks and step away from it all as you need to.
I know you are...but even when you declare independence from the past it's easy to get right back into expectations and parameters. Just live.
If you think you are turning your back on anyone by changing your mind about an album, concept, or even the instruments you use, then you're only turning your back on yourself, right?

Bottom line- You have more passion, talent and care in your pinky than the majority of civilization. Make music. Heavy, soft, crunchy, sour, fishy, whatever.
As long as you are 100% committed to it, love it...and are at times challenging yourself and others to taste new flavors (be that sonically or emotionally)...YOU CANNOT GO WRONG.

I'm 30 years old, and I'll tell anyone who my hero is. Everyone here loves what gifts you've given them- you don't owe us anything.
Take the little man to the zoo or something. The music will come.

Cheers,
JM