Face your chaos, know who you are!
#191991 by vt1100
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 am
[quote="The Dev"]Hey guys!

Feel free to download it and check it out. You may not like it, and thats good to know! If you do, who knows? Maybe buy it? or not...If you want me to tour, it has to sell so...your call.

[quote]

Downloaded this morning, at first i wasn't going to but...i'm weak :wink: Actually i have preordered this a while ago, so i don't feel to bad about downloading since i'm going to buy anyway. Like my music to be in "real" form, not just some bits in computer or whatever. And blaablaablaa....etc.

Did i like it? Hell yeah i did! It's different allright but in a good way, thank you for this one :D Who knows, maybe see you playing here in Finland. I missed SYL at Provinssi Rock, 06 was it, and banged my head against wall since.. almost :wink:
#191992 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:38 am
MeOpsis wrote:You said this was the appetizer and definitely has served that purpose. Very relaxing. Probably the most subtle work so far so not what I expected but its growing on me more and more. Listened to it late at night driving home after a pointless argument with the old lady and there couldn't have been anything better. The female vocalist is AWESOME. You should include more parts like that in future work. All said and done I love it and can't wait for the main courses.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong (it's all opinion anyway), but what exactly did you like about her? I only ask because she sounded sort of static, emotionally, in my opinion. I didn't dig it nearly as much as the vocals on "Coast." And if I imagine Dev doing her part on "Heaven Send" as well, I think it could have been really huge. But, it might grow on me--just curious to know what you liked about her.

Don't get me wrong (see above post)--it's still a fantastic album.
#191993 by Feehan
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:41 am
i got this yesterday ( i am defiantly 110% going to buy it aswell)

so after 24 hours (nearly) of listening i really like it, its unlike any album ive heard before. with clean guitars playing crushing riffs for a start was a nice change. i can see what dev meant now about the sparse guitar sections, very beautiful stuff. also trainfire = elvis, ambient, metal song. good times :D

stand out song for me so far is coast the guitaring under the verse is beautiful

cannot wait for the other albums aswell
#191995 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 am
I just love the tone of her voice. The melody and production is still all Devy- she just seems like a great instrument for him to play. Don't get me wrong I love Dev's voice but I felt she added a good bit of color. I just love women in "rock"(for lack of a better word) music-ie Time by Pink Floyd and teardrop or angel from massive attack. I don't really hear any static imo. Have you heard the latter parts of trainfire?
#191996 by The Dev
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:50 am
If you don't compare it to Terria or the others, thats probably a good thought.

A little hard to do though, I understand.

Give it time!
#191997 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:54 am
MeOpsis wrote:I just love the tone of her voice. The melody and production is still all Devy- she just seems like a great instrument for him to play. Don't get me wrong I love Dev's voice but I felt she added a good bit of color. I just love women in "rock"(for lack of a better word) music-ie Time by Pink Floyd and a teardrop, or angel from massive attack. I don't really hear any static imo. Have you heard the latter parts of trainfire?

Well, I didn't mean static as in white noise. I meant static as in unchanging. Anyway, the parts on "Trainfire" were specifically the ones I wasn't too crazy about. I don't like the way it's looped, for some reason. I have nothing against women in music--Pink Floyd's DSotM was a great album, and wouldn't have been the same without the female vocals. I just felt like the female vocalist (I wish we had her name, so I could stop calling her "the girl") didn't quite convey the same things that Dev did. But they might grow on me.

Anyway, didn't Dev say there would be a video for "Coast"? I'd be excited to see that.
#191998 by Hrellir
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:56 am
Thank you for Ki Devin

This is the album I've wanted for a long time. It blew me away. I've always loved your mellow songs and this is exactly what I was hoping for. A chilled, honest album. I enjoy the diversity in your music, the honest mellow stuff, the insane chaos, the tongue in cheek humor. I've been wanting more mellow lately, Ki is what I've been hoping for.

I caved like so many and downloaded, and I will buy it no matter what. I couldn't get it out of my head last night, so I got the iPod and just lay in bed listening to it.

Songs like Terminal, Lady Helen and Ki so far stand out to me. That dreamy ethereal feel and subtle melody. In terminal every time it starts with the "hey, tell me there's another way..." (atleast I think that's what it says) I can't help it but smile. Ki, that arpeggio that slowly builds to that massive explosion at the end, I just wish it could go on forever. I find myself constantly rewinding and listening to that over and over again. Hoping somebody will tab that arpeggio, I have ever since the tracking bass video on youtube, it's beautiful.

So yeah, thank you Devin...

Just had to get the kiss ass out of my system :p
Last edited by Hrellir on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
#191999 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 am
Shouldn't compare apples and oranges. Variety is great though. So many people stick to one single-dimensional style and never really go from there but your style is constantly evolving-there's a perfect Dev song for every occasion it seems.
#192000 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 am
MeOpsis wrote:Shouldn't compare apples and oranges. Variety is great though. So many people stick to one single-dimensional style and never really go from there but your style is constantly evolving-there's a perfect Dev song for every occasion it seems.

"Ants" for the busy days!
#192002 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 am
Well, I didn't mean static as in white noise. I meant static as in unchanging. Anyway, the parts on "Trainfire" were specifically the ones I wasn't too crazy about. I don't like the way it's looped, for some reason. I have nothing against women in music--Pink Floyd's DSotM was a great album, and wouldn't have been the same without the female vocals. I just felt like the female vocalist (I wish we had her name, so I could stop calling her "the girl") didn't quite convey the same things that Dev did. But they might grow on me.

I know what you mean but I don't consider her being "static" a bad thing because there's plenty of dynamic elsewhere and of course in Dev's singing.---Plus it seems she was kind of put on a leash after all-its dev's album. If she was given the chance I think she wouldn't seem static at all...We can agree to disagree though. I love the album either way.
#192004 by Tortiss
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 am
I like how Dev's discography is very musically conceptual. Did anyone else notice the "everybody knows" in the song "Ki"? And how its similar to the end of Soul Driven off of Infinity? There's a bunch of things like that through out his discography. Anyway I really like the female vocals, especially in Heaven Send. Ki is great. If there is a box set for the 3 (or 4?) albums, I will buy FOR SURE.
#192007 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 am
MeOpsis wrote:
Well, I didn't mean static as in white noise. I meant static as in unchanging. Anyway, the parts on "Trainfire" were specifically the ones I wasn't too crazy about. I don't like the way it's looped, for some reason. I have nothing against women in music--Pink Floyd's DSotM was a great album, and wouldn't have been the same without the female vocals. I just felt like the female vocalist (I wish we had her name, so I could stop calling her "the girl") didn't quite convey the same things that Dev did. But she might grow on me.

I know what you mean but I don't consider her being "static" a bad thing because there's plenty of dynamic elsewhere and of course in Dev's singing.---Plus it seems she was kind of put on a leash after all-its dev's album. If she was given the chance I think she wouldn't seem static at all...We can agree to disagree though. I love the album either way.

Exactly.

I just felt her leash was too short. But, like I said, it's just an opinion and it will change over time, I'm sure.

The Dev wrote:Her name is Che Dorval

Shes my favorite female vocalist I've worked with yet, she's strong.

Different strokes...

Well, I like her vocals, but I'm just not convinced by them, I guess. I think she has a good voice, and I dig the color she adds, but something about it just begs to be a bit more "free," for lack of a better word. I don't know; I can't put my finger on it, but I know my complaints are very trivial, and I'd say it was a good move to put her on the record.

I don't mean to detract--just have to air the positives and the negatives. Chances are I'll come around. Givin' it time.

Now, I think I'm going to go give Ki another listen. :D