Face your chaos, know who you are!
#192008 by Ageia
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 am
The Dev wrote:Hey guys!

Feel free to download it and check it out. You may not like it, and thats good to know! If you do, who knows? Maybe buy it? or not...If you want me to tour, it has to sell so...your call.

If you listen to it expecting it to blow you away, it won't. Just let it play in the background for a while.

I'd rather be disliked for being honest than worshipped for writing things with the intention of being some sort of god.

I aint a god,I'm not an alien, I'm just a dude.

Back from the promo tour, people generally think the album is boring, and people who get high and listen think it's very dull.

I listened to it the other night again, and now have a hard time listening to the back catalog. It's different yeah, and theres going to be a lot of 'worshippers' who give up. I truly love it...and not because i'm in awe of it.

enjoy...who knows, in a couple of months (if it lasts for you that long) you may hear it differently.

Reviews are gonna be harsh, hang on!

disagree
#192011 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:32 am
I know what you mean man. Its hard to place my finger on it but I understand. It seems impossible to convey a song to its full potential if you haven't lived it. For me its barely noticeable but you can tell she's just singing some music albeit well, she's not singing it like she truly feels it from her soul but its not her music either.---It kind of feels like playing music for someone else relies on two things: 1-the actual music and 2- The performer's ability to act like its theirs.
#192012 by OceanMachine15
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:37 am
Alright guys. This is Gato. Everything before the chorus. Will tab those now. To anyone who cared, I didn't want them to think I forgot. Demon League is on Page:4 in case anyone wants to learn that.

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--1/4--10~-----1/4--10~----4-8~------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------2-2------------2-2----------2-2---------2-2---------|
|------------------------------------------2-2------------2-2----------2-2---------2-2---------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------3-2-1-0-0-----3-2-1-0----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-|

|--------------------------------------------------------|
|--2-2---------2-2----------2-2---------2-2-----------|
|--2-2---------2-2----------2-2---------2-2-----------|
|------3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-|

|----------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------|
|--1-1------------1-1----------1-1----------1-1---------|
|--1-1------------1-1----------1-1----------1-1---------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
|------3-2-1-0-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-|

|---------------------------------------------------------|
|--4-4----------4-4----------5-2---------2-2-----------|
|--4-4----------4-4----------5-2---------2-2-----------|
|------3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-| x2

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--4-4----------3--------0-0----------0-0----------0-0----------0-0---------0-0----------0-0---------|
|--2-2----------1--------0-0----------0-0----------0-0----------0-0---------0-0----------0-0---------|
|------3-2-1-0----3-2-1-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0-----3-2-1-0|

Repeat verse.
#192014 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 am
So, in the earlier vein of discussion, and I'm listening to "Gato" now. My mind has been changed a bit--I'm starting to dig Che's vocals a lot, especially in context. I think I was guilty of some unfair comparison earlier. Sorry, Dev.

The record shines even more to me, now. I hope it gets the reception it deserves.

EDIT: And "Heaven Send." She does a great job. I was really off the mark. Oh, and by the way: "FINITE. INFINITE!"
Last edited by soundsofentropy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
#192015 by robvondoom
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 am
Love the female vocals. Gave the songs such a unique dynamic to your other works.
I have to disagree with the above point. You think Requiem would sound better if Mozart had sung it himself? Abilty is the truest test of conveying music. Your own or someoe elses. And this girl has talent and sung with great abilty in order to achieve an affect that Devin wanted to convey. Which for me is all you can ask of her or anyone. If she hadn't done so in a way that Dev thought was perfect I doubt her performance would have been included. After that it's just a matter of taste really.

The more genres and vocal styles the better as far as I'm concerned. Played like this it is only a good thing.

Genuinely, I have never listened to an album so incessantly in my life. The funky cool of Aint never gonna win is so sweet. The rockin' Trainfire that fades to a calm halt, the beautiful, emotive Coast, the barely restrained chaos of Ki juxtapposing the glourious soaring melody. I just can't get enough of this album. I love it. I keep cycling the replays from my MP3 to my laptop to my PS3 to try and catch sounds the others couldn't catch. By the way if anyone has a PS3 you have to listen to this with the Earth animation on the visual player. With surround sound speakers the experience is unbelievable. :shock:

The metal mags might not dig it, but the muso mags surely must. And if not, screw 'em. Their loss.

Thanks for easing my massive guilt over downloading Dev. But I'm an impatient fool with a music addiction. It's so bad that even though I have the album I don't actually HAVE the album. As a result my anticipation of the actual release date has barely dwindled. Professional help is being sought. :help:

:mrgreen:
#192018 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:51 am
robvondoom wrote: You think Requiem would sound better if Mozart had sung it himself?

If he was a great singer then yes.
Again - I can not stress how much I love the vocals. I'm just saying Dev's singing sounded more "pure" because he wrote it and truly feels it whereas Che(undoubtedly an awesome singer) Is following his direction. I actually have to listen fairly astutely to hear it and it doesn't really distract from the music but I can still tell its there. I still love her and wish her "leash" was shorter.
#192020 by Lawrence
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:55 am
I downloaded it, Listened to it once because havent had alot of time. I just lay down and shut my eyes and listened to it yesterday afternoon... First impressions are that it is a very big concept, from the album i felt slightly overwhelmed as it was up and down in its emotions throughout. I would have been dissapointed if it had sounded like terria or infinity or ocean machine etc. I love those albums but they have been made and there is no need to remake them. Ki is diffrent from anything ive heared.
I like it alot.
Well done Dev another quality record!

Law
#192026 by Vanished
Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:00 am
'If you listen to it expecting it to blow you away, it won't. Just let it play in the background for a while.'

Well you did it again, you didn't just blow me away it it it it......IT WAS A LIKE A STORM
No really I fucking love it from the begin to the end you totally surprised me once again and I am going to buy it for sure BUT........
Devin I've got a question for you, I'm a very big fan of your music I've got all your cd's and dvd's and shit. Thats why I want to know why you first get all 4 albums out and later you are going to put them into a box with fucking 4 bonus cd's, why is that?
Now I have to wait so long to have it in my hands, because I want the box(The box is a fact isn't it?).
And not verry much fans keep track of this forum or internet in generally so they wont even know that there is a BIG DEVIN BOX in the end.

Last comment, I will buy the box and in my home town there will be at least 5 people who will go for the box so I think we have earned enough credit to you so you can come play in Holland!!!
mhahaha
#192032 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 am
MeOpsis wrote:Have you heard the latter parts of trainfire?

Listening now, and earlier I had thought you meant the looped bit. Now that we're talking about the same part, I agree: her vocals at the end are heavenly.

I should've waited to say anything until I'd listened a few more times. This record is incredible--I have to keep raving. So different and so beautiful.
#192036 by BlueRaja
Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 am
Once again, I will politely request that all Ki discussion be confined to this thread. After the album is OFFICIALLY released, we can all go apeshit over anything and everything Ki related.
Some forum users don't want to weed through multiple Ki Spoiler threads while they're choosing to wait for the actual release of the album.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.
#192038 by Byron2606
Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:39 am
I was just curious, but I read that once all 4 of the Devin Townsend Project is released, that there will be an 8 disc (Including dvd) box set..
Does anyone know what will be on the other discs, aside from the original releases?

Also, anyone have any idea when this will be released? Possibly at what price too?

Just though I'd ask around to see if anyone knew anything....
#192040 by Eat Beets
Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:46 am
I will buy Ki if nothing else than its honesty. It's quite refreshing considering there are 17 billion other bands building themselves up, and sometimes, that works for me. But I think some wholly fundamental part of my soul craves this sort of honesty, delivered in the most surrendering minimalist fashion.
This music just feels like a collective watering hole for the seekers and the broken; the ones trying to put the pieces back together. And that is what it's all about for me; realizing that we are all one to some extent, and it does benefit us to offer sanctuary to one another.
#192049 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:26 am
Why isn't a Ki section placed in the forum? Most of us here intend to buy the album and Dev doesn't mind us checking it out. He probably wants the feedback. People can choose to ignore it if they want, but limiting discussion of such a great album to one thread doesn't make much sense to me. That's just my opinion.