Face your chaos, know who you are!
#192096 by ScottMcTony
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:30 pm
So, I am pretty sure if I had Last FM it would say Devin Townsend Project now has the most listens, at something like 129. I know that for Yan it just passed Cynic last night.
#192099 by FUBAR
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:42 pm
Man, this album is a real subtle beauty. It has many of Devs little moving moments, parts of it bring tears to my eyes especially the title track.

Can't wait to pre-order and hopefully get a t-shirt with that cool slipcase cover on!
#192105 by stratman687
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:31 pm
i totally loved the album. Ki (title track) brought me to tears too as well as a few other spots. Didn't get bored at all during the album and I enjoyed the clean tones especially...the whole production seems alot more straightforward than devin's other albums...i dont know how to explain it but it seemed like all the other albums had a kind of ambient air to them especially synchestra and infinity. There was some of that ambience of that kind too but not as much or in a different way. I enjoyed the female vocalist and i kind of thought she sounded a bit like dev as i thought it was him actually singing at times!
Last edited by stratman687 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#192107 by ScottMcTony
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:39 pm
Yeah at first I suspected that it was him in Heaven Send, either with editing, balls in a vice, or by having achieved a godlike state of falsetto. Also, Ain't Never Gonna Win sucks, but since it's right after Heaven Send I just ignore it and get over the multiple 'gasms.
#192110 by eteled
Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:10 pm
Just spent an afternoon on the balcony soaking up the sun, with Ki's waves crashing out my door onto me.

It's great Dev, it really is. It was well worth the wait, and I hope you found what you were looking for, because I did.
#192121 by gnostic_peon
Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:15 pm
its amazing, dev. a must purchase. thanks for the right music when i needed it.

jc
#192125 by di_fowler
Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:27 pm
The Dev wrote:Hey guys!

Feel free to download it and check it out. You may not like it, and thats good to know! If you do, who knows? Maybe buy it? or not...If you want me to tour, it has to sell so...your call.

If you listen to it expecting it to blow you away, it won't. Just let it play in the background for a while.

I'd rather be disliked for being honest than worshipped for writing things with the intention of being some sort of god.

I aint a god,I'm not an alien, I'm just a dude.

Back from the promo tour, people generally think the album is boring, and people who get high and listen think it's very dull.

I listened to it the other night again, and now have a hard time listening to the back catalog. It's different yeah, and theres going to be a lot of 'worshippers' who give up. I truly love it...and not because i'm in awe of it.

enjoy...who knows, in a couple of months (if it lasts for you that long) you may hear it differently.

Reviews are gonna be harsh, hang on!

Hey man!

Ki is VERY different from your other stuff. It's definitely a mood record. It's feels a lot looser than some of the stuff that's been done before (god knows how much you slaved over Ziltoid or Alien). The fact that I want to give it another couple of listens definitely bodes well. I tend to find that albums I have a hard time with end up being my most loved.

Also, I have been in a terribly bad mood recently, so Ki obviously isn't going to turn me on as much as the new Agoraphobic Nosebleed. :) That kicks so much arse it isn't funny!

You really think reviews'll be harsh?
#192127 by OceanMachine15
Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:39 pm
The first part of the four-part series. I can;t wait to hear Ki and Addicted in a row and hear how they complement one another as one half of the big story. If Ki is meant to be the quiet beginning, I can't wait to hear the upbeat drizzle, followed by the storm that is Deconstruction and finally, the calm aftermath of the ambient album. Bring it! I can't wait to listen to all four parts in a row!
#192129 by djskrimp
Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 pm
The Dev wrote:Hey guys!

Feel free to download it and check it out. You may not like it, and thats good to know! If you do, who knows? Maybe buy it? or not...If you want me to tour, it has to sell so...your call.

If you listen to it expecting it to blow you away, it won't. Just let it play in the background for a while.

I'd rather be disliked for being honest than worshipped for writing things with the intention of being some sort of god.

I aint a god,I'm not an alien, I'm just a dude.

Back from the promo tour, people generally think the album is boring, and people who get high and listen think it's very dull.

I listened to it the other night again, and now have a hard time listening to the back catalog. It's different yeah, and theres going to be a lot of 'worshippers' who give up. I truly love it...and not because i'm in awe of it.

enjoy...who knows, in a couple of months (if it lasts for you that long) you may hear it differently.

Reviews are gonna be harsh
, hang on!

Reviews that are harsh are from people who came into the gig with expectations. That's a dumb thing to do as a reviewer. (I know it can't be HELPED, sometimes, but if you put "Music Reviewer" on the overhang of your door, some amount of professionalism is necessary.)

Regardless of what any reviewer says, (I was weak, I caved...) the album shook me. For all the right reasons. 1) All the time away has done wonders for Dev's voice. I mean, it sounds AWESOME on this album. What good are good vocals without good songs for them to be in, right? Right. The songwriting is as good as anything Devin's ever written. This album is going to make promoting it THAT much easier! When I go around the streets of Korea/Japan, and have people take a listen to get them to purchase the album, I'll only have to play some of "Coast", "Terminal" and "Gato" to convert new fans.
#192137 by islandsinthesky
Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:13 pm
Devin's music has usually been accurate representations of different parts of my mentality.

So excuse me if I sound like a worshiper, but if I'm not awed by it at first, it probably means I have to discover some things about myself.