Face your chaos, know who you are!
#191968 by mineralinsulated
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:07 am
Dissentient wrote:The songs are fuckin awesome, but the girl isnt the best singer... and the drummer's oldness really shines through on the album...the non epic drumming was kinda dissapointing.

Nah, i like the singer and i like the drumming, i wonder if its the way that the record sounds so clean that im finding a bit odd. Not really too sure though, in truth its probably that its just new and aint the heaviest thing devins done. Its still richly layered which i like. But i got lots of listens to go yet.
#191970 by The Dev
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:23 am
Hey guys!

Feel free to download it and check it out. You may not like it, and thats good to know! If you do, who knows? Maybe buy it? or not...If you want me to tour, it has to sell so...your call.

If you listen to it expecting it to blow you away, it won't. Just let it play in the background for a while.

I'd rather be disliked for being honest than worshipped for writing things with the intention of being some sort of god.

I aint a god,I'm not an alien, I'm just a dude.

Back from the promo tour, people generally think the album is boring, and people who get high and listen think it's very dull.

I listened to it the other night again, and now have a hard time listening to the back catalog. It's different yeah, and theres going to be a lot of 'worshippers' who give up. I truly love it...and not because i'm in awe of it.

enjoy...who knows, in a couple of months (if it lasts for you that long) you may hear it differently.

Reviews are gonna be harsh, hang on!
#191974 by mineralinsulated
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 am
yeah, i nicked it via the net, but i'll buy it. Its very good Dev, not boring by any means. And in truth it is heavier than i first thought, not loud heavy, but still heavy in parts. I know this cos i played it in the lounge room within ear shot of my wife and found myself hitting the volume down button quite a bit, as that girl of mine is allergic to Metal!
I like it but am still getting my ear in. Many thanks for making it.
Oh and that bit towards the end of Heavens End where you cut to Duris and you rehearsing and talking is totally inspired and makes me smile so much! Thanks for still having humor too dude!
Last edited by mineralinsulated on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
#191975 by AlucardXIX
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:40 am
The Dev wrote:Hey guys!

Feel free to download it and check it out. You may not like it, and thats good to know! If you do, who knows? Maybe buy it? or not...If you want me to tour, it has to sell so...your call.

If you listen to it expecting it to blow you away, it won't. Just let it play in the background for a while.

I'd rather be disliked for being honest than worshipped for writing things with the intention of being some sort of god.

Back from the promo tour, people generally think the album is boring, and people who get high and listen think it's very dull.

I listened to it the other night again, and now have a hard time listening to the back catalog. It's different yeah, and theres going to be a lot of 'worshippers' who give up. I truly love it...and not because i'm in awe of it.

enjoy...who knows, in a couple of months (if it lasts for you that long) you may hear it differently.

I love it man. Very chill and relaxing. Glad you dont mind if people check it out before hand. We have a lot of "purists" here who refuse to check things out early, even if they have every intention of buying it.

I'm really waiting for the box set deal. Ki may be one of your best works in my opinion. The feel is outstanding and the clean guitars sound beautiful. I love the subtle transitions from clean to dirty and how they just come right out of the cleans, very awesome Dev man!
#191976 by SasukeFutant
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:42 am

I will buy it and a probably a shirt as well- I love the album. Definitely different- you described it perfectly before, but it's great. Quiet Riot makes me want you to write an entire acoustic album.
#191978 by The Yan
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:44 am
When I listened to the teaser I honestly expected this to be the best album ever, and when I was downloading it my balls were tingling. It didn't dissapoint me at all, it blew me away and has continued to blow me away ever since (I've listened to it exclusively for the past 24 hours :P)

I'm already starting to have hot flashes when I think about the next 3. :O
#191981 by robvondoom
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:49 am
Speaking for myself Dev, it was everything I expected and more.

I totally get the literal version of Ziltoid reference especially during the title track.
I will definately pick up a pre-order copy direct from yourself at HevyDevy. After hearing the differences between the pre-release version of Alien and the slightly different mixes I feel it's entirely worth it. If only to be able to rip it at a higher bitrate.

All I can say is that yes I did love Ki immediately upon listening to her. And I know I will grow to love her more.
The mix of vibes and sounds. The blues, the rock and roll, the metal, the restraint, it all carried over perfectly. Like a celebration of all your earlier work done in an un-obvious way.

Can't wait to hear the rest of this phenominal release. Ki was the perfect intro.
#191983 by hk_mp5a2
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:57 am
My wife summed it up best - Opeth has "Damnation" and now Devy has "Ki". It's really cool to have a mellow, chill-out record in the catalogue to counterbalance the chaos and the proggy atmospherics of the other stuff...must pre-order!
#191988 by MeOpsis
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:22 am
You said this was the appetizer and definitely has served that purpose. Very relaxing. Probably the most subtle work so far so not what I expected but its growing on me more and more. Listened to it late at night driving home after a pointless argument with the old lady and there couldn't have been anything better. The female vocalist is AWESOME. You should include more parts like that in future work. All said and done I love it and can't wait for the main courses.
#191989 by dlayphoto
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 am
MeOpsis wrote:You said this was the appetizer and definitely has served that purpose. Very relaxing. Probably the most subtle work so far so not what I expected but its growing on me more and more. Listened to it late at night driving home after a pointless argument with the old lady and there couldn't have been anything better. The female vocalist is AWESOME. You should include more parts like that in future work. All said and done I love it and can't wait for the main courses.

Indeed, it is a very relaxing album, but in a different way compared to The Hummer. It's very much an exercise in subtlety and dynamics...it's a well-crafted, wonderfully written album.
#191990 by soundsofentropy
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:31 am

I caved and downloaded it yesterday--full intention of buying, tour or not. At first listen, I thought it was beautiful, but it didn't seem to have that same quality that the other albums do. I still miss the guitar tones from old albums, and I hope that they come back in Addicted and Deconstruction. But it won't be the end of the world if they don't--the Ki vibe is damn good, too.

Anyway, I craved Ki more and more, and listened to it again and again after my first listen. And after about the 4th time, I finally stopped trying to compare it to old favorites (Infinity/Terria), and it really is quite incredible. The vocals have a very surreal quality to them, and the atmosphere grooves with it really well (especially "Coast," "Heaven Send," etc.). And I couldn't let you know how I feel about the album without saying that Duris has amazing style. It really helped to give the album the vibe I think you may have wanted.

So now it all makes sense that you've been saying it's different, but still quality. It's not "big" like Infinity or Terria on the outside, and it won't pull you in right away, but when you're in, it's magical. I'm really excited to hear the next three albums and put this work in context. Great work, man! :D

Cheers!

PS: You might like to know that when I downloaded the album, the description included the track list followed by the comment "EXCELLENT ALBUM." So at least pirates like it! :wink: