Face your chaos, know who you are!
#201323 by GuyOne
Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:29 am
i think addicted will do better if it is indeed a more accessable album (listening wise). Maybe i'll wait and buy it at the local record shop to help boost the chart rank.

I remember from when i lived in Canada HMV always had higher prices than anywhere else.

How will Ki do in Canada? I am anxiously waiting results.
#202454 by GuyOne
Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 am
Blabbermouth wrote:"Ki", the first in a series of albums from acclaimed Canadian musician/producer Devin Townsend (STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, STEVE VAI, LAMB OF GOD, DARKEST HOUR, GWAR) to be made available under the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT moniker, sold around 800 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. (Note: Internet/digital sales **ARE** included in the SoundScan totals.) The CD landed at position No. 69 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

Well there you have it. Around 800 copies in the USA. What about Canada?

Also does anyone know if the copies sold directly from the label are included in this count?
#202457 by Biert
Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:59 am
GuyOne wrote:
Blabbermouth wrote:"Ki", the first in a series of albums from acclaimed Canadian musician/producer Devin Townsend (STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, STEVE VAI, LAMB OF GOD, DARKEST HOUR, GWAR) to be made available under the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT moniker, sold around 800 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. (Note: Internet/digital sales **ARE** included in the SoundScan totals.) The CD landed at position No. 69 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

Well there you have it. Around 800 copies in the USA. What about Canada?

Also does anyone know if the copies sold directly from the label are included in this count?

I don't think the copies sold from HDR are included as they were sold from Canada. Also, this claims "first-week album sales", while those pre-orders have been placed, and sent, weeks ago. I suppose these are only copies that have been sold through real-life stores, where it's been available for only a week now (in the USA).
#202464 by The Dev
Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:29 am
'In other news, the American recording industry awarded Devin Townsend his 15th Pewter record in as many years...Devin accepted and went to work that morning in anticipation of his 16th.'
#202468 by snail415
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:12 am
I believe 'aluminium' certification is where you get the green jacket and lifetime exemption from qualifying rounds. :)
#202469 by Jormungandr
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 am
The Dev wrote:'In other news, the American recording industry awarded Devin Townsend his 15th Pewter record in as many years...Devin accepted and went to work that morning in anticipation of his 16th.'

Haha, what the fuck? Pewter? Good stuff mang!
#202532 by GuyOne
Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 pm
Devy understands that if he is looking to sell well he has to write an album like Nickleback's Dark Horse which is impossible because radio friendly material is just not a concept his brain can be wrapped around. :wink:
#203117 by The Oid
Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 am
I think a lot of the time, sales relate more to marketing budget than to quality.
I even managed to get my mum into Ki, (using Trainfire as a "gateway drug" :) ) and she has normally been pretty lukewarm to Devin stuff I let her hear in the past.

Would she have heard of it had I not introduced her to it though? Probably not.

Roddy wrote:Who gives a flying f*ck about sales? Ask yourself: is it CREATIVELY successful? I think you know what the answer is....

It'd be nice to see Devin getting some well-deserved success. Also, more sales mean a greater ability for him to make a living doing what he does best.
#203158 by Wander
Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:31 pm
The Oid wrote:It'd be nice to see Devin getting some well-deserved success. Also, more sales mean a greater ability for him to make a living doing what he does best.

And more sales means a possibility for more gigs in more countries.
#203165 by JuZ
Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:49 pm
Roddy wrote:Who gives a flying f*ck about sales? Ask yourself: is it CREATIVELY successful? I think you know what the answer is....

Who gives a flying fuck about sales? Probably the dude that is helping put food on the table with the proceeds. :D

Doesn't mean artistic integrity is forfeited though. Just means a man's gotta make a living, like we all do.

And I agree... creative success ahoy!
#203171 by Roddy
Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:35 pm
JuZ wrote:

Who gives a flying fuck about sales? Probably the dude that is helping put food on the table with the proceeds. :D

Yep, and on this fan forum that amounts to a grand total of one person out of 6000!
#203214 by sj_2150
Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:58 am
Devin, Uranus doesent support any lifeforms. how exactly are you selling records there?

i smell bullshit :x