Face your chaos, know who you are!
#208961 by Freak Kitchen
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Seeing the breakdown of Ki's "8" rating really got me thinking about the Dev's motivations for Decon. I realize it's a small sample size but considering how "metal-centric" Blabbermouth is, I think an "8" for Ki is very impressive.

When interviewed, Dev quite frequently would talk about this subset of fans that only wanted SYL and he felt would reject everything else. He seemed worried about getting poor reviews because of Ki's new direction. This all kind of snowballed into the theme of Decon, which was a dissection of why people would only want to listen to metal.

Now, I always felt that Dev was paying too much credence to, what I perceived as, a vocal minority. This small sampling of Ki ratings really cemented it for me.

More than 75% of people gave it 8 or more. Those are Devin Townsend fans. Not some asshole who whines because SYL isn't around anymore. Those are your bread and butter Devin.

About 13% gave it between 5 - 7. These are the true dissenters and there is nothing wrong with that. Some might be new listeners who don't love it or long time fans who aren't feeling it. Either way, they realized that the album is not without merit. It's quality stuff, but just not their cup of tea maybe. This is total conjecture but it's how I perceive these votes.

Last we have the roughly 11% who basically gave it a 1. I see these votes as the people Dev is writing Decon for. These are the assholes that fully reject Ki because it's not SYL.

I think these "1's" are the equivalent of internet bullies. They talk a lot of shit and down-vote anything that isn't perfect, but if you meet them, they'd be 15 year old punks who still have the crust cut off their PB&J by their mom. I guess my moral is, FUCK THESE ASSHOLES. It doesn't matter if it's SYL or DTB or DTP, people like Ki because it's fucking good. No, great.

Just an observation/rant.
#208965 by GuyOne
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:06 am
I didn't know you can see a breakdown of the ratings. EVERY ALBUM has idiots who will vote it 1. I don't think any album in the world deserves a ranking of 1 except those who are absolute shit at playing instruments and cannot write a single song (believe me, I can link you to many "bands" on Myspace). Even Maria Carry doesn't deserve 1 or 0 for her shitty albums. If the production is good, the music is preformed well and it doesn't sound like absolutely amateur nothingness then it should get anything below 3 (taken that 5 is average and not 8).
#209024 by Wander
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:53 am
Ratings of less than 3 are reserved to albums that are absolute pain to listen to.

The average of 8 is very good in any case. It has an average of 3.8/5 in sputnikmusic, but that in fact is possibly even better thant 8/10 as their rating system allows you to give full 5 to only 10% of your ratings, albums you consider to be "classics".

So in sputnik, Ki has ratings:

5 (classic): 3 times
4.5 (superb): 9 times
4: (excellent): 16 times
3.5 (great): 14 times
3 (good): 5 times
2.5 (average): 1 time
2 (poor): 0 times
1.5 (very poor) 0 times
1 (awful) 1 time
#209101 by Cg138
Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:22 pm
There should not be a thread on this. Blabbermouth does not deserve to be taken into consideration. Not now, not ever.

Read the posts under just one topic on BM and you'll see why.