0%
4%
4%
2%
2%

#61981 by Coma Divine
Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:22 am
Umm, me and the world ain't exactly on speaking terms at the moment. :wink:

Me and the COSMOS? Well, that is an entirely different kettle of gilled swimmy things...

On topic: I don't actually have this album. Should I go get it?

#62175 by a_random_person
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:02 pm
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's Prog Rock! Get the album!

#62191 by gurp13
Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:56 am
LOL random. I guess by my definition it *is* prog rock.

Coma, yeah, I'd get it. I think Steve Vai is every bit the genius that Devin is. Your mileage may vary. Personally, I think there is some damn fine song craft on this album. I really like it a lot.

#62258 by ForceFed
Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:03 am
Vai is a great musician and all, but he's not the best songwriter. In fact, alot of his stuff feels very thrown together and many instrumental parts are there just for the sake of being there, rather than serving the song itself. I'm not saying all his stuff is like that, quite a bit of it though. I personally think Dev is better at crafting songs, while Vai is better at crafting intricate guitar parts that may or may not fit a song. I guess it all depends on your taste too, you may rather hear a technically mind-blowing solo than a overall solid song.

#62292 by BlueRaja
Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:12 am
You don't have this album Coma?? :shock: Tsk, tsk.

Go buy it now. Right now.

And Still My Bleeding Heart is my favorite off the album. What a vocal performance! WOW. In fact, this is one of my all-time favorite albums period.

#62324 by gurp13
Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:08 pm
ForceFed wrote:Vai is a great musician and all, but he's not the best songwriter. In fact, alot of his stuff feels very thrown together and many instrumental parts are there just for the sake of being there, rather than serving the song itself. I'm not saying all his stuff is like that, quite a bit of it though. I personally think Dev is better at crafting songs, while Vai is better at crafting intricate guitar parts that may or may not fit a song. I guess it all depends on your taste too, you may rather hear a technically mind-blowing solo than a overall solid song.

You may be right. I don't know that much about music, technically, but I know what I like. :) Have you heard the last Vai studio album "The Ultra Zone"? I think it's got some really good songs on there. "The Blood and the Tears" and "Oooo" are very strong, IMO. I'm still saving my pennies to get "Alive in an Ultra World," though. And, I'm looking forward to the next Vai album. I certainly wasn't saying that Vai was better than Devin, simply that I really like both of them. I think that Vai is probably the best guitar player out there and that he's just a phenomenal visionary artist. But, that's me. :)

#62354 by a_random_person
Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:25 pm
You'll wet yourself when you hear "alive in an ultra world." When I got that album, I listened to it over and over and over again for about a week. It kind of reminded a bit of the S&R era since many of Vai's solos just seem more......raw. Or something else, I can't quite put it into words.

Keep an eye out for Eric Johnson's new album, it should be out sometime during January. Never thought I would actually meet him at the guitar center. He's so timid!

And if anyone, including you gurp :wink: , could be nice enough to tell me what the song "pig" actually means or what Devin is doing at the very end of the song, I'd appreciate it. Prog rock baby!

#62391 by Coma Divine
Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:42 pm
BlueRaja wrote:You don't have this album Coma?? :shock: Tsk, tsk.

Go buy it now. Right now.

And Still My Bleeding Heart is my favorite off the album. What a vocal performance! WOW. In fact, this is one of my all-time favorite albums period.
Um...sorry... :oops:

Based upon these fine affirmations I shall zip out and get me one. Once this collective human mess commonly known as "last minute Christmas shopping" buggers well and truly off, of course. :wink:

#62451 by gurp13
Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:41 am
a_random_person wrote:You'll wet yourself when you hear "alive in an ultra world." When I got that album, I listened to it over and over and over again for about a week. It kind of reminded a bit of the S&R era since many of Vai's solos just seem more......raw. Or something else, I can't quite put it into words.

Keep an eye out for Eric Johnson's new album, it should be out sometime during January. Never thought I would actually meet him at the guitar center. He's so timid!

And if anyone, including you gurp :wink: , could be nice enough to tell me what the song "pig" actually means or what Devin is doing at the very end of the song, I'd appreciate it. Prog rock baby!

I'm very much looking forward to "Alive... ." I've heard it's excellent. I also like Eric Johnson very much. I only have Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle. But, those two are pretty solid. AVM is a very nice listen for all of you that enjoy fine geetar.

Pig? I dunno. That song always frightened me. :wink: I can't give you a definitive interpretation but I'd say the song has a lot to do with enjoying the pleasures of the flesh. And, I'd say that's pretty much what Devin is doing at the end of the song. He sounds like he's very emotional over his pig and wants to keep it safe. Or something.

Er, yeah.

#62618 by WickedBuddhi
Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:28 pm
"Watching You, Wanting You, but you turn away"

I need to dig this cd out again. When i first got it, i played in my dreams with you constantly. So catchy.

#62640 by Ibanezjem777
Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:48 pm
ahhh the album that got me into SYL and DTB!

#63011 by pacman
Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:58 pm
In My Dreams With You ... love that song..:D

#63058 by 21st Century Jesus
Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:39 pm
I voted Pig cause Dev cowrote some of it. really good album anyway.

JUST CARTILAGE anyone? the b-side, from the "..into the Pain" single, was cowritten by Dev too, the song where he had the most songwriting input from all of the songs done

#63082 by liquid puppy on acid
Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:42 pm
In My Dreams With You

Love the song + love the video for it... my choice came along... yeah :)

#63889 by Strophe
Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:35 am
Deep Down Into the Pain!

The album is a good one, no doubt about it, but there's still something missing... I can't listen to it many times in a row, unlike Devin's solo albums. I bought S&R just because The Dev was singing on it, I sort of want to have everything he's ever done (not that I think he's a God to me, but I just love the way he does things). What should I buy next? Are Punky Brüster and Ass-Sordid Demos any good? I got all DTB and SYL records already...