The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#65988 by STS
Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:30 am
i found that on Vai's site.
there is a Sex & Religion Japanese Bonus Track - "Just Cartilage".

just wondering what is this song?
it's cool or no?

is it rare?

#66004 by Blazingmonga
Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:22 am
Its on the version I have of S&R, the last track I think. I'm not sure if all versions of the disc have this track though.

I will have to get back to you on how it sounds though, as I can't at this moment remember what it's like...and I don't have it with me.

#66181 by 21st Century Jesus
Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:09 pm
it was written by Steve Vai AND Devin Townsend. So its the ONLY song off the whole session where Dev was involved with the songwriting (apart from PIG where Dev cowrote but only the lyrics)!

Its a rather slow song with backwards echo on the vocals and lots of really freaky solos. doesnt deserve the B-Side status. really cool, maybe too freaky for the rest of the record. at the end Dev says something like ...damn we're not even recording... mustve been a weird recording situation too...

#66420 by GDiddy
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:15 pm
I have this tune on the "down deep..." single. If you like hearing devin's voice doing weird things, this is a song for you. Or, if you like hearing what satan would sound like as a lead vocalist, this is also the song for you.

#67343 by Taliwakker
Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:28 pm
decent song...its been released on Vai's mystery tracks vol 3 cd which came out in the last 2 years or so.

#67382 by Blazingmonga
Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:24 am
Actually....its NOT on my version of S&R, though I seem to remember it was on some of them. Don't really know why I thought I had it.

It's pretty cool though, very strange. Devy's voice does kinda remind me of satan a fair bit. Which is always good!

#67650 by King Fear
Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:32 am
It's also on a recent Vai compilation (blue or purple cover). Much easier to find than the Jap version of S&R or that single.

#71584 by PUNCHLINE
Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:17 pm
Just Cartilage was the bonus track on the Jap version of S and R, I believe, as well as being the B Side to the Down Deep..single..

According to an interview with Vai, he said that he recorded the music, then gave it to Devin to add whatever he wanted on top, total freedom, which may explain why it`s so bizarre.

The next step was that they were going to do a song in that way, but give it to Bozzio and TM Stevens to do whatever they wanted on it, but unfortunately that never happened.

#72013 by powercozmic
Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:51 pm
I think it's much better than many tracks in Vai's sex and religion. You can get it in Steve Vai's CD - Archives Volume 3: Mystery Tracks. This CD is well worth your money even if you vaguely like Vai. Abslutely brilliant !!