The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#70669 by Puzzleface
Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:28 pm
It makes me shake my head in amazement when Devin refers to some of these songs/albums as "Demos". To me Demo means 4 guys shacked up in a garage with a 4 track Tascam trying to get the levels at least passable in terms of evenness.

I only say this because I just got my CD shipment from HDR one of which was Ass-Sordid I. The songs on that compilation are jaw-droppingly good. The song Ocean Machines is fucking amazing. (side note....I wish some of the filler like Sister and 3am would have been ash-canned in favor of this masterpiece on the Ocean Machine album)

No really....it's a Demo. I wish my band's so-called studio recordings sounded HALF this good.

#70700 by Kristopher
Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:32 pm
I like having some cruizy siort of filler chit on an album... infact i am usually dissappointed if there is none... But yes ocean Machines is a master-piece but does devs music really suit a Title track... cause that would be what it would become

#70712 by Archetype
Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:38 am
A demo can also be a song which you send to record labels, venues to get gigs, etc.
They don't have to be crappy quality. We all know Devin's awesome production skills; I can imagine he would never release anything which sounds like a garage-demo.
#72096 by Magical Man
Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:39 am
Puzzleface wrote:(side note....I wish some of the filler like Sister and 3am would have been ash-canned in favor of this masterpiece on the Ocean Machine album)

Filler??!! :shock:

Bah!...

I would even say these two tracks probably MAKE the awesomeness of Ocean Machine.
When i first listened to the 4 first tracks of OM, i thought i just got a great album. But when Sister/3AM started, i sat down and knew i just got an AMAZING album!! Everything from Sister to the end is perfect.
#72109 by Persuader
Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:34 am
Magical Man wrote:
Puzzleface wrote:(side note....I wish some of the filler like Sister and 3am would have been ash-canned in favor of this masterpiece on the Ocean Machine album)

Filler??!! :shock:

Bah!...

I would even say these two tracks probably MAKE the awesomeness of Ocean Machine.
When i first listened to the 4 first tracks of OM, i thought i just got a great album. But when Sister/3AM started, i sat down and knew i just got an AMAZING album!! Everything from Sister to the end is perfect.

I totally agree, they may not be that much on their own, but they fit perfectly with the concept and the flow of the album. Sister is like a pause, a moment of stillness when you can reflect and just breathe...Beautiful.
However, some of the demos are _really_ good and would certainly deserve an albumspot.

#72301 by Magical Man
Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:14 am
About the "demo" mention, i guess he files under "demo" anything that is not 100% finished. I do that myself, i consider a demo anything that hasn't been completely finalized.

Oh, by the way, the Christeen + 4 demos EP is top notch! 8)

#72307 by danceswithchickens
Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:40 am
Those aren't true demos, IMO. Several of the songs on Ass-Sordid I were demos to begin with, but were brought into the studio and re-recorded with the Ocean Machine lineup, which is why they sound so good. The songs on Ass-Sordid II, however, are true demos.

And to suggest that anything on Biomech is "filler" is completely absurd. There's a reason those quiet songs are in there instead of "Ocean Machines". It's called continuity...

#72489 by Puzzleface
Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:31 pm
Sorry that my opinion offended y'all so deeply. But out of the entire album Sister and 3am are the tracks I typically skip over. But hey my opinion isn't yours and vice-versa. I figure this is a forum for us all to be able to express our individual opinions whether we agree or not.

I do like the unplugged accoustic version of Sister that Dev does on the Official Bootleg Disc. Very cool stuff there.

#72522 by funny_little_guy
Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:16 am
I was talking about this with one of my friends ages ago and it seems to me that a 'demo' is an idea of what the final version might sound like. Eaither this could be (like in band bands case) a really badly recorded version of exactly how the song sound be (ie riffs, order, that sort of thing). Or as I see it in Devins case a really well recorded version of an idea of what the final song might sound like. So although all the recording quality and presition is there the acual song your hearing still isn't finished.

#72526 by danceswithchickens
Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:26 am
Puzzleface wrote:Sorry that my opinion offended y'all so deeply. But out of the entire album Sister and 3am are the tracks I typically skip over. But hey my opinion isn't yours and vice-versa. I figure this is a forum for us all to be able to express our individual opinions whether we agree or not.

I do like the unplugged accoustic version of Sister that Dev does on the Official Bootleg Disc. Very cool stuff there.

I think that jumping from "Hide Nowhere" directly to "Voices in the Fan" disrupts the perfect continuity of the album. Yes, yes, it's just my opinion. But to call those songs "filler" is to suggest that Devin threw them in there simply to make the album longer, and because he didn't have any better songs to use. I hope you don't believe this to be the case...

#72529 by Blazingmonga
Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:29 am
Yes, I think that these short ambient pieces are quite important to the flow of the album. It is understandable that some may skip over them, but they are definately there for a reason.

3AM has some quite important lyrics I think....

Devy wrote:Time will be on my side
No looking back this time
All that I've known is gone
Time to be moving on...

I think that shorty passage sums up the whole feel of the album.

AYE!

#72539 by King Ghidorah
Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:59 pm
I might be wrong.....i often am :lol: but didnt the Ocean Machines song become Regulator??? i've only ever heard it on a rubbish live bootleg so i could be way off.

#72542 by danceswithchickens
Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:04 pm
King Ghidorah wrote:I might be wrong.....i often am :lol: but didnt the Ocean Machines song become Regulator??? i've only ever heard it on a rubbish live bootleg so i could be way off.

I don't think so..."Ocean Machines" doesn't sound anything like "Regulators". However, Strapping used to play the intro to "Om" from Infinity at their concerts, and it does sound a hell of a lot like "Regulators", in my opinion. Could this be what you're thinking of?

#72641 by King Ghidorah
Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:49 am
Ahh that must be it, cheers for clearing that up. :oops:

#73452 by Mordecai
Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:19 am
Apparently the song 'Processional' is a demo.

It may not be the way dev intended it to be when it was finished but it sounds fucking awesome anyway. He may have had more things in mind for the song but had to release it before he was finished with it and thats why he labelled it as a 'demo'... i dont even know. But like the other guys here when i think of a demo i think of shitty ass recording but still good enough to show people and get them into your band. Like a demo would be what you would show a record company to try and convince them to let you record an album.